Paul Manship, 1950
* Quotes from and in honor of Julian Biddle, Richard Foulke Day, Norton Downs, Jr., John Drinkwater, Carl Christian Glanz, William Besse Kuen, Stephen Phillips, William Shakespeare, Stephen Spender and Houston Woodward
* small reclining person, birds, celestial globe
* The surrounding inscribed walls and benches are also part of the memorial.
pillar: Aero Memorial, World War I, 1917-1918
To the aviators of Pennsylvania killed in action
Thou hast caught splendour from the sailless sea, and mystery from many stars outwatched. - Stephen Phillips
Master and Maker, God of right the soldier dead are at thy gate who kept the spears of honour bright and freedom's house inviolate. -John Drinkwater
Born of the sun they traveled a short while toward the sun, and left the vivid air signed with their honor. - Stephen Spender
Death makes no conquest of the conqueror for now he lives in fame though not in life. -William Shakespeare
* Aviator Park. East side of 20th St. between Race and the Parkway.
* 39.958090,-75.172060 [map]
* On the Parkway tour.
* Exhibits: Favorites, War
* See also:
+phillyhistory.org 1959 picture of this piece
+One of Max Buten's pictures of this piece
+Another of Max Buten's pictures of this piece
+wikipedia.org's Paul Manship page
+wikipedia.org's John Drinkwater page
+wikipedia.org's Stephen Phillips page
+wikipedia.org's William Shakespeare page
+wikipedia.org's Stephen Spender page