Chestnut Hill and Mt. Airy World War I Memorial
1918 (based on inscription)
* big cross
In loving memory of the men
of Chestnut Hill and Mt. Airy
Who died in the World War
They challenge us to hold more precious than mortal life
Ideals of Honour, Justice, and Righteousness.
They counted not their lives dear unto themselves
* Germantown Ave. and Mermaid Lane.
* 40.067750,-75.197150 [map]
* On the Germantown Avenue tour.
* Exhibits: War
Einar Jonsson, 1918
* Statue of Thorfinn Karlsefni
* standing person, helmet, sword and shield
Following Leaf Ericson's discovery of North America in 1003, Thorfinn Karlsefni, with 165 men and 35 women established a settlement which lasted 3 years, and his son Snorri was born in North America.
Lief Ericson society of Pennsylvania
Scandanavian Craft Club of Philadelphia
October 9, 1976
* Kelly Drive, past Boat House Row.
* 39.970190,-75.190050 [map]
* On the Kelly Drive tour.
* See also:
+The Einar Jonsson Museum
+wikipedia.org's Thorfinn Karlsefni page