Airplanes, Airships and Balloons
Spirit of Transportation
Karl Bitter, 1895
* big group of people, mostly standing, some sitting, horses, sheep, oxen, wagon and carriage, basket of fruit, model train, model boat, model airship
This panel, the conception and work of Karl Bitter, sculptor, was executed in 1895 and placed in the waiting room of Broad Street Station Philadelphia from which place it was removed to this site in January, 1933. The spirit of transportation is represented in triumphant procession of progress led by a little child carrying a model of an airship, a prophetic vision of a mode of transportation to come.
* Interior. North waiting area 30th Street Station. Northeast corner, 30th and Market Sts..
* 39.955985,-75.182160 [map]
* On the Avenue of Technology tour.
* See also:
+Linda Mann Art Gallery pictures of this piece
+wikipedia.org's Karl Bitter page
+wikipedia.org's 30th Street Station page
Lark Lucas, 1982
* people standing, sitting, hats, umbrellas, food, musical instruments, machines and tools, balloons, airplanes, signs, buildings, plants, birds, elephant, giraffe, camel
* visible through the fence
* Walls. North side of Filbert, West of 34th.
* 39.956900,-75.192250 [map]
* On the Powelton tour.
* See also:
+Lark Lucas page at unm.edu
Philadelphia Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Perry M. Morgan, 1987
* ideas, ideals and logos map, people standing, crouching, helmets, weapons, airplanes and helicopters, plants, buildings
The Philadelphia Vietnam Veterans Memorial is designed to honor those who served in all branches of the United States Armed Forces during the Vietnam War. The memorial pays tribute to the 80,000 Philadelphia Vietnam Era Veterans who served our country in our nation's longest war.
By honoring these veterans the Philadelphia Vietnam Veterans Memorial separates the warrior from the war, focuses on the valor and sacrifice of those patriots, and gives each of them a place in history.
It is our duty to remember the gallant Americans whose names grace this wall. They sacrificed their lives in the service of our country during the Vietnam War 1964-1975.
For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
* Plaza. Southeast Corner, Front and Spruce.
* 39.943910,-75.142825 [map]
* On the Penn's Landing tour.
* Exhibits: War, African American
History In Motion
Eric Okdeh, 2004
* big musical instruments, buildings, partial people, plants, groups of people, standing people, sitting people wearing hats, balloon, turtle, tiger, El cars and trolleys
* The extreme horizontal proportion and the level of detail on this piece combined with the slanted sidewalk and number of people hanging around outside make it difficult to capture accurately on camera. The pictures are in order left to right with some overlap on the wider panels. The last picture is a detail to show the level of pixelization provided by the tiles.
* Wall. District Health Center Six. North side of Girard between 3rd and 4th.
* 39.969975,-75.141900 [map]
* On the Northern Liberties tour.
* See also:
Jordan Griska, 2011
* big real airplane, recycled containers, real plants
Grumman S2F Tracker, Polycarbonate, Soil, Recycled Containers, Plants
Plants courtesy of the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
* Lenfest Plaza. Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. West side of Broad, North of Arch.
* 39.955400,-75.163725 [map]
* On the Convention District tour.
* Exhibits: New, Peace and Love
* See also:
+Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts