Rebecca at the Well
John J. Boyle, 1908
* Biblical scene of Rebecca
* people standing, head coverings, walking stick, jug, camels
Drink and I will give thy camels drink also.- Genesis XXIV:XIV
I give this legacy for a triple purpose: to ornament the city that William Penn founded, to refresh the weary and thirsty, both man and beast, and to commemorate a fact of sacred story. - Extract from the will of Mary Rebecca Darby Smith
This monument was removed from Twelth and Spring Garden Streets and erected by the Philadelphia Fountain Society 1934
* East end of the Horticulture Center. Horticultural Drive. East of Belmont..
* 39.983625,-75.208700 [map]
* On the West Park tour.
* Exhibits: New, Religious, Moved
* See also:
+Max Buten's picture of this piece
+askart.com's John J. Boyle page
+wikipedia.org's Rebeccah page
Lark Lucas, 1982
* people standing, sitting, hats, umbrellas, food, musical instruments, machines and tools, balloons, airplanes, signs, buildings, plants, birds, elephant, giraffe, camel
* visible through the fence
* Walls. North side of Filbert, West of 34th.
* 39.956900,-75.192250 [map]
* On the Powelton tour.
* See also:
+Lark Lucas page at unm.edu