Joseph Alexis Bailly
Joseph Alexis Bailly, 1869
* Statue of George Washington
* standing person
* In front of Independence Hall. South side of Chestnut between 5th and 6th.
* 39.949050,-75.150000 [map]
* On the Independence Mall tour.
* See also:
+picture of this piece from about.com
+phillyhistory.org 1913 picture of this piece
+phillyhistory.org 1929 picture of this piece
+wikipedia.org's George Washington page
+Independence Hall World Heritage Site page
Rev. Dr. John Witherspoon
Joseph Alexis Bailly, 1876 (unconfirmed)
* Statue of John Witherspoon
* standing person, scroll
A lineal descendant of John Knox
Born in Scotland February 5 1722
Ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church 1745
President of the College of New Jersey 1788-1794
The only clergyman in the Continental Congress
A signer of the Declaration of Independence
Died at Princeton, New Jersey November 15, 1794
For my own part of property I have some of reputation. More, that reputation is staked, that property is pledged, on the issue of this contest. And although these grey hairs must soon descend into sepulchre I would infinitely rather that they descend thither by the hand of the executioner than desert at this crisis the sacred cause of my country.
"Proclaim liberty throughout the land and to all its inhabitants thereof" -Levit. XX 10
* North side of the East end loop of the Horticulture Center. N. Horticulture Drive. East of Belmont.
* 39.984050,-75.208900 [map]
* On the West Park tour.
* Exhibits: Religious
* See also:
+wikipedia.org's John Witherspoon page