Smith Memorial Arch
Herbert Adams, George E. Bissell, Alexander Stirling Calder, Katherine M. Cohen, Moses Jacob Ezekiel, Daniel Chester French, Charles Grafly, Samuel Murray, Edward C. Potter, John Massey Rhind, Bessie O. Potter Vonnoh, John Quincy Adams Ward, James H. Windrim, 1897 - 1912
* Statues and busts of James A. Beaver, S.W. Crawford, Andrew Gregg Curtin, John A. B. Dahlgren, John B. Gest, Winfield Scott Hancock, John Hartranft, George B. McClellan, George Gordon Meade, David Dixon Porter, John Fulton Reynolds, Richard Smith and James H. Windrim
* big arches, standing people, seated people, heads, horses, eagles, globe, weapons, hats
* Despite the name, the memorial is actually not an arch at all, though it does include two arches. Sculptures on the memorial include Herbert Adams' statue of Richard Smith, who funded the memorial, and Samuel Murray's bust of James H. Windrim, who was the artist and architect of the memorial itself. Detail pictures of the individual pieces are in alphabetical order by subject. One of John Massey Rhind's eagles is pictured last. Dahlgren is listed elsewhere as "Dahlgreen."
* Avenue of the Republic at 41st.
* 39.977450,-75.206500 [map]
* On the West Park tour.
* Exhibits: New, War
* See also:
+ushistory.org's page for this piece
+philadelphiabuilding.org's page for this piece
+wikipedia.org's page for this piece
+wikipedia.org's Herbert Adams page
+wikipedia.org's George E. Bissell page
+wikipedia.org's Alexander Stirling Calder page
+askart.com's Katherine M. Cohen page
+jewishvirtuallibrary.org's Moses Jacob Ezekiel page
+Chesterwood: home of Daniel Chester French
+wikipedia.org's Charles Grafly page
+wikipedia.org's John Massey Rhind page
+wikipedia.org Bessie O. Potter Vonnoh page
+wikipedia.org John Quincy Adams Ward page
+philadelphiabuildings.org's James H. Windrim page
+PA Historical and Museum Commission's James Addams Beaver page
+PA Historical and Museum Commission's Andrew Gregg Curtin page
+biography of John A. B. Dahlgren from civilwarartillery.com
+The W. S. Hancock Society
+Petersburg National Battlefield John Hartranft page
+wikipedia.org's George B. McClellan page
+wikipedia.org's George Meade page
+U.S. Navy's David Dixon Porter page
+National Park Service's David Dixon Porter page
+wikipedia.org's John F. Reynolds page
Samuel Murray, 1907
* Statue of Joseph Leidy
* standing person, bone
* inscription: 1823-1891
* In front of the Academy of Natural Sciences. 19th, Race, and the Parkway.
* 39.957200,-75.171300 [map]
* On the Parkway tour.
* Exhibits: New
* See also:
+phillyhistory.org 1912 picture of this piece
+phillyhistory.org 1931 picture of this piece
+Academy of Natural Science's Joseph Leidy exhibit
+Academy of Natural Sciences
Commodore John Barry, USN
Samuel Murray, 1908 (from the base; the plaque says 1907)
* Statue of John Barry
* standing person wearing a hat, telescope, sword
Father of the Navy of the United States. Born in Wexford, Ireland, 1745. Died in Philadelphia, 1803.
Presented to the City of Philadelphia by the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick, 1907.
* South side of Independence Hall. Between Chestnut and Walnut, 5th and 6th.
* 39.948350,-75.150100 [map]
* On the Washington Square tour.
* Exhibits: War
* See also:
+picture of this piece from about.com
+1912 picture of this piece from phillyhistory.org
+ushistory.org's Commodore Barry page
+Independence Hall World Heritage Site page